October 12, 2010

Re-Discovery!/El "re-descubrimiento"

(para español, seguir abajo)

Part of the adventure of living in another place/country is returning "home" and "re-discovering" all those things that used to be so familiar and yet somehow were forgotten while away. It's amazing what little things can trigger the thought, "Wow. I really have lived in another part of the world." Some of my "re-discoveries" have been...

1. "No Turn on Red" signs. I don't remember ever seeing one in PR. I had to get used to looking for them before just turning at a red light!

2. apple cider. I had forgotten about this delicious fall tradition.

3. the fact that car windows start fogging/frosting up when it's cold outside

4. all the barely pronounceable last names that are so common in the USA. (In Puerto Rico, almost all the names are Hispanic, and, if you know Spanish phonetics, you can read/pronounce anything.)

6. bumblebees

---------------

Una parte de la aventura de vivir en otro lugar/país es el regresar a casa y descubrir de nuevo todas las cosas que antes conocías, pero, de alguna manera, se te habían olvidado. Es asombroso que las cosas tan pequeñas puedan hacerte pensar, "Wao. De veras, yo viví en otra parte del mundo." Aquí están algunos re-descubrimientos míos...

1. los rótulos "No virar en luz roja". Que yo sepa, nunca vi ninguno en PR. Tuve que acostumbrarme de nuevo a buscarlos antes de virar.

2. la sidra de manzana. Se me había olvidado esta tradición deliciosa del otoño.

3. que el agua se condensa o se congela en las ventanas del carro cuando hace frío.

4. todos los apellidos poco pronunciables que son tan frecuentes aquí en los E.U. En PR casi todos los apellidos son hispanos y, si sabes la fonética española, puedes leer y pronunciar todo.

5. los abejarrones

1 comment:

Alan & Tina said...

Seems we've both been thinking about where we live recently! I enjoy popping over here and keeping up with you. :)